Sunday, June 1, 2008

The Beginnings of More Substance

Ok, so here it goes, I can do this...

Right, so I have been at my site now for nearly three weeks, the language is comming along and everything is so far going fairly well all things concidered. Hmm, i really need to recap a great deal of information, this may take many posts.

How bout starting with now and we will go from there.

So I had my birthday on Friday, it was a good day, very chill, just the way i like it. There was a funeral in my village in the afternoon and all day people were a bit aloof and acting funky, not in a bad way, just distracted and then all of the sudden all these tiedye clothes in the evening with the only explaination of- they are for sleeping in. but i am rushing myself. so anyway, mostly a good relaxing day, i got to read, write some, i didnt tell anyone in my village that it was my birthday mostly cause i wasnt sure what theyd do and they probably just would not care. all the same i walked around some, took some pictures that will eventually make it into this blog theoretically, and talked to the kids who were equally not invited to the funeral i guess.

well, at first i was invited. some people said i should definetly come and i should even take pictures. then my family asked if i was going and then when i said i was thinking about it they said no, i should not go. and then all day folks walked by me chillin in the shade and they would ask if i am going and then say i really should not go.... yeah, i was confused as well.

then yesterday, saturday, i left as early as i could, though dramatically later than i wanted, and biked to mbour for internet stuff like this and meeting up with some other volunteers for just some lunch and then i would ride back in the afternoon. well that didnt really turn out quite like that, after lunch we had a grand ole time on the beach where i decided that i could just stay here in mbour and go back today. this gave me much more time to lounge around and eat chicken and vegitables that i am severely lacking in my village.

So today, i get to use a pretty good cyber that i found and it even has english style keyboard settings and everything, YAY!

My serere is comming along, i can understand folks when they talk slowly and speak clearly at least (though they never do), but i feel like there are lots of words i am still missing in every conversation and i can never really get them to repeat them or define them, though, such is life.

Well, ok really more updates to come and i can recap all the goings ons and whatnots...

1 comment:

  1. Chris,

    sounds like an amazing experience. Keep posting, i'll keep reading.

    ReplyDelete